It’s All About The Bags
Level 1: The ‘Man-Bag’ Episode
NB: This post is the natural progression from a slightly alarmist previous post: Things To Do Now, and is meant as a ‘reveal’, if you will, of the things I am doing (in real life, IRL, shock!, horror!) to ‘prepare’ for a range of potentially likely future scenarios. Not panicking, just trying to stay ready for The Strange and The Unexpected…
At present I have 2 levels or tiers of ‘preparation’/’survival’ equipment completed, and a third and larger level in-progress. All three levels are based on, in, and around a bag or pack of some description.
This first, Level 1 bag (see photograph above), is set up as follows –
A ‘5.11 Tactical’ over/under shoulder pack capable of carrying an array of ‘handy stuff’. [To be honest, this is what some would refer to as a ‘man-bag’ – something I definitely would have scoffed at in certain situations – but, whatever, I have a handbag, and sometimes I even wear it like one.] It’s not too over-the-top in terms of bulk and doesn’t make it immediately appear as though I’m pulling off a heist or a bank job.
In normal circumstances it contains, carries, or is/can be used to accommodate:
- Another, smaller, adjustable-strap ‘secure’ man-bag (from ‘Kathmandu’ stores, has pick-pocket-preventing zip locks, RFID-blocking card slots, etc.) living inside it, like a babushka/Russian/nesting doll situation, inside of which lives:
- Wallet, keys, phone, travel pass, etc.
- Ancillary/non-daily use banking cards/ID, store loyalty cards, etc.
- Spray jacket
- Map measurer/compass/thermometer combo tool
- ‘Swiss Army’ credit card multi-tool (scissors, file, pen, knife, tweezers, toothpick)
- Back-up battery (7800Mah) for phone/tablet, etc.
- Room for other bits, dependent upon the situation
- this mini-man-bag is used in more discreet situations (e.g., can be worn easily under a suit jacket or coat, or used like a tourist-style bum-bag/fanny-pack)
- Pens and writing tools, notepad/notebook
- Vaping paraphernalia/snus/breath mints
- Water (each side pocket of the 5.11 bag expands to accommodate a ~1 litre drinking bottle)
- ‘Gerber’ multi-tool and extension kit (strapped to shoulder strap)
- ‘ZAK Tool’ window-punch/handcuff key/DNA scraper/eye-poker pen-tool/weapon
- Paracord loop
- iPod Classic & Skull Candy headphones
- Plenty of room/flexibility, loops and straps, etc., to add/store/carry other bits, as required
When not being used/carried, this bag lives in whatever car I am driving at the time, within reach of where I sit, at the wheel. Also within easy reach or access in the car are a torch, sighting compass, first-aid kit/s, water bottles, rain coat/s, a tool-box, among other potentially useful bits and pieces.
I have deduced that I am within 20 metres of my car 85% of the time, or more, so it seems a logical and secure location for ease of access.
The same applies to the larger, Level 2, ‘get-home/bug-out’ bag (a day-pack style of back-pack, in my case), which is complete and in use, and will be outlined in a future post; it also lives in the car, this time in the rear storage zone/boot/trunk, whatever…
Above these two ‘bag systems’ is the Level 3, ‘hunker-down/bug-out’ bag (under construction), which is home-based, and this will also be outlined in a future post.
Happy to take any suggestions on items I may be missing…